BOOKS IN REVIEW: Luna by Julie Anne Peters & Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

10:30 AM



Since it's the beginning of a new term and it well feels like the calm before the storm (seriously. really.), I haven't got much to do, so I've been on a reading spree for the past week. Wait, I'm ALWAYS on a reading spree! Anyway, I've made it one of my goals to read more LGBT books this 2014, so I decided to take all this free time (just for now) to read Luna and Two Boys Kissing! :)

Here are short blurbs/reviews of both books! 





Title: Luna
Author: Julie Anne Peters
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: February 1, 2006
Paperback: 248 pages
Rating: 4/5

Before anything else, I'd just like to say that I am very open about societal issues, especially on GENDER, and am a loud and proud feminist (though I may not agree with the term since I think it is gender biased - but anyway that's a different issue altogether). With that, I can't stress how ecstatic I am that this book exists. This is the first time I've read a book that tackles issues about transgender teens, and I wasn't disappointed at all. Told from the point of view of the sister Reagan, this story magnificently introduces us to Liam, a troubled teenager girl stuck in a male's body, who only uncovers her real self at night, when she becomes Luna. The novel shows the realities of what these people go through with self identity, discovery and acceptance.


My only problem with the novel is how Liam/Luna was portrayed so stereotypically feminine, with her addiction to shopping, clothes, nail polish, and other girly things. In other cases, transgender people are not all girly and feminine. Yet, casting this little problem aside, I do think Luna is a groundbreaking book that is a HUGE step for YA literature.






Title: Two Boys Kissing
Author: David Levithan
Publisher: Knopf Books
Publishing Date: August 27, 2013
Hardcover: 208 pages
Rating: 5/5

I've always been a big fan of Mr. Levithan's works ever since... God, I don't even remember. He's probably one of the most talented (and one of my favorite) writers in YA, and I can't even imagine what YA would be like without him. For starters, who'd be there writing books about Two Boys Kissing? You can't think of anyone? Neither can I. Anyway, I think David Levithan has actually outdone himself in his latest release, as I am truly confident to say that this is the BEST David Levithan book I've ever read (And I've read a lot - maybe even all?) Two Boys Kissing speaks about acceptance - a theme that is quite apparent in all of David Levithan's books. But Two Boys Kissing has gripped me in ways unimaginable. The story is about several gay couples who are all diverse ethnically and situational-ly.

There are the two boys kissing, who are not only trying to break a world record of the longest kiss, but also trying to form a friendship after their break-up. There's the couple who's accepted by both their families. There's a couple in the making, with one of them in the middle of a gender change from female to male. There's the boy who was beaten up because of his gender and sexuality, and now wants nothing but for his best friends to break the record. There's the boy who's afraid that no one will ever love him, and instead finds comfort in talking to strangers on the Internet. The book shows different experiences - all of which are relate-able, whether gay or straight. It manages to universalize the experiences these boys are going through - and it does so quite impeccably. The narrative voice of the story is  also one that I have never come across before. They're not any of the characters in the book, major or minor. In fact, they are all dead. Simply a chorus of gay men - a generation dead from AIDS. A wise decision, because never have I felt the pain they were going through more.


"We gather the things we learned, and they don't nearly add up to fill the space of a life. You will miss the taste of Froot Loops. You will miss the sound of traffic. You will miss your back against his. You will miss him stealing the sheets. 
Do not ignore these things."

There is simply NO EXCUSE not to read this book. If I could meet David Levithan now, I'd actually hug him. Really, I would. I'd even hug everyone in this book. And the chorus, And all my gay friends, for that matter. You know what? EVERYONE deserves all the love in the world.

And you better read this book now, because it is just beautiful.

HAPPY READING!!! :)


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I think I have some other Julie Anne Peters books on my TBR and I know I've heard good things about David Levithan. Two Boys Kissing sounds like a unique story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Two Boys Kissing is a must read! :) definitely my favorite David Levithan book. (Sorry late!)

      thank you for commenting btw! :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE David Levithan and have to agree, Two boys kissing might just be his best work yet. Haven't heard of this particular Julie Ann Peters book though, putting it on the reading list now. And thank you so much for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so glad someone agrees with me! :)

      Thanks for stopping by too! :)

      Delete

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide