Book in Review: Hexed by Michelle Krys

2:45 PM

13597755
Title: Hexed
Author: Michelle Krys
Hardcover: 384 pages
Format: ARC
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: June 10, 2014 
Rating: 2/5

Witchcraft is one of the many paranormal elements that I've always been curious about, especially because it is a folklore that is rarely explored in popular culture aside from the famous Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I was very glad to pick up Hexed because i haven't read as much witch books compared to any other obscure paranormal book ranging from unicorns, zombies, vampires, werewolves etc. 

Generally, Hexed follows the normal paranormal/supernatural genre formula: girl is normal then one day when she comes of age she becomes supernatural and becomes exposed to a whole new world. While we see her learn to use such supernatural ability, good and bad forces collide and she has to save the world because of a prophecy or because of any other responsibility that was thrust upon her by external factors. Along the way, she meets a hot guy who is also paranormal, may be a bad guy, or add some other twist here. He ends up to be actually good and they save the world and wait for their next adventure in book 2!

Hexed sure was an interesting read and I was never bored reading it, but I felt like it is a bit too laughable even in parts that are supposedly serious.

I really wanted to like this book. I really did.

Instead, I'll just slam my face to the wall.

Following the formula for writing a supernatural book is okay, but Hexed adds NOTHING to what we already have in witch lit. The plot is not at all unique and the characters aren't even extraordinary. What I can say though is that they are realistic. Realistic if most teenagers today are complete assholes and whiney douchelords who only care about their problems. I tried really hard to like Indie, but I guess she's just not likeable. At first, I liked the fact that she is a popular girl who is concerned about her clothes and looks and that she's not a loner emo girl who's trying to find her place in this world like most other protagonists. However, her development as a character is slow if nonexistent. So she finally breaks up with her asshole boyfriend and ends her 9 year friendship with what's her name. Her mom dies. It was nice to see her cutting off all the toxic people out of her life and doing something for herself, but throughout the book that is ALL she does - doing things for her own benefit. Everything she does is for her own personal gain, and even befriending Paige is a selfish act on her part and I hated how everything that happens she makes it all about her and what she wants. In the end, she doesn't become any smarter or a better person.

Bishop is also one of the worst love interests ever because he is a sexist pig who keeps objectifying Indie and making disgusting misogynistic statements. I was disgusted with his naked Betty Boop tattoo and all his sexual innuendo and it's not because I'm a prude, but because I really can't stand jerks who "get the girl" in the end when he doesn't deserve anything at all. The part when they are stuck in the sewers and he practically drools over Indies half naked body and he gives her clothes which Indie describes as "short and skanky" and is actually amused with himself is just the most disgusting thing ever. He also starts out as this stalkerish kid who follows Indie around, and all the backhanded comments he gives her, like remarking about cheerleaders have a brain after all, laughing at how Indie butt shaked during the game,  are just annoying and makes him irredeemable as a love interest.

I also found the world building incredibly lacking. I was very interested about the magic part and the battle between the witches and sorcerers. But they didn't even address what they are fighting about in the first place- all we know is that there was a war and that there are these cartoon villains out to get the witches. What baffled me even more about the book is how little the magic there actually is. I really wanted to see more of her training as a witch but there is next to zero magic involved in it (there's more kissing between her and Bishop) and the magic they possess is actually laughable and not just believable. I mean magic is not realistic at one bit but there must be laws, like how could you conjure creatures out of nothing? I just couldn't seem to understand the folklore of their magic.

Hexed could've easily been one of the best paranormal books I've read in a while, but the treatment of the story is not at all executed properly. 

Honestly? It is by far one of the biggest disappointments this year and it just read to me like bad fanfiction.




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Awww. I was looking forward to reading this! But I might just pick it up for the sake of entertainment.

    GUYSSS I nominated you for a Liebster award because your blog is awesome. Check out my post for more info: http://gailaranas.blogspot.com/2014/06/liebster-award.html :))

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide