Book in Review: Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries #11) by Meg Cabot

5:17 PM


23215471

Title: Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries #11)
Author: Meg Cabot
Publishing Date: June 2nd 2015
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary:

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Princess Diaries series, comes the very first adult installment, which follows Princess Mia and her Prince Charming as they plan their fairy tale wedding—but a few poisoned apples could turn this happily-ever-after into a royal nightmare.

For Princess Mia, the past five years since college graduation have been a whirlwind of activity, what with living in New York City, running her new teen community center, being madly in love, and attending royal engagements. And speaking of engagements. Mia's gorgeous longtime boyfriend Michael managed to clear both their schedules just long enough for an exotic (and very private) Caribbean island interlude where he popped the question! Of course Mia didn't need to consult her diary to know that her answer was a royal oui.

But now Mia has a scandal of majestic proportions to contend with: Her grandmother's leaked "fake" wedding plans to the press that could cause even normally calm Michael to become a runaway groom. Worse, a scheming politico is trying to force Mia's father from the throne, all because of a royal secret that could leave Genovia without a monarch. Can Mia prove to everyone—especially herself—that she's not only ready to wed, but ready to rule as well?


 CRYING RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THIS IS MY CHILDHOOD OMG OMG OMG

I read the 1st book of this series when I was just 9 years old and I literally grew up with this book, went through puberty with it and all those awkward years and this was like my bible!!! I can't even remember how much I loved this series until I started reading this and how time flies because I'm reading this as a 19 years old now!

To the series that got me into reading chick lit and romance novels, to the series that taught me it's okay for a princess to be clumsy, bad at math, crazy and completely neurotic but still be filled with so much awesome and coolness and spunk, to the series that got me through my preteen years, WOW JUST THANK YOU AND I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF READING ABOUT MIA'S LIFE.

It's great because 6 years have passed yet the author flawlessly gets back into writing the characters we all know and love and the characterization is just spot on. It's great to see all these characters come back to life in Mia's writing, like Lily, Tina, Lana, Michael, Mia's mom, and even Gradmere, no matter how annoying she may be (though she serves as great comic relief). I do still think that character is the strongest point of this series, and it shines in this 11th installment. Although the characters are still the same, we see substantial character development in their adult versions, even in Mia's father Prince Philip!

It was also so good to know what everyone has been up to and what kind of lives they are leading right now after high school. It's like looking back at your high school classmates and wondering what they're doing now. There were some really funny surprises though - I did NOT see that coming for Boris (haha) and I definitely didn't expect a certain someone to actually be Mia's stalker!

The narrative is still brilliant, with Mia's diary entries still funny, sarcastic, quirky and nerdy, and her thought processes absolutely sharp, hilarious and relatable. There are a lot of great quotable quotes that I really loved, such as the following:

 “It wasn’t me,” Lars supplied, from the front seat. “I didn’t tell.” “Of course it wasn’t Lars,” Michael said, having overheard him. “Tell Lars no one is blaming him.” Seriously, if my life were one of those romance novels with a love triangle, Lars and Michael would be the sexy paranormal alpha males, but the two of them would be in love with each other and just ignore me.” 
Yep, presenting: Mia's imagination

“Why doesn’t the CIA hire your grandmother to interrogate terror suspects? She does a much better job than they do of getting classified information."

“I’m completely demanding an autopsy on my grandmother’s brain when she’s dead so I can see what I’m in for as I age.” 
Still the same old Grandmere.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide